This position reports to the Department Head of Animal and Food Sciences, and is a salaried, exempt position (i.e., exempt from overtime pay/comp or personal time accrual) that is eligible for full benefits. Position requires (1) a B.S. as a minimum, M.S. preferred, in an agricultural-related field such as Agricultural Economics, Agriculture Business, Agricultural Engineering, Agronomy, Animal Science, Horticulture, Natural Resource, Plant Science, or Soil Science, and (2) 5 years of experience in managing agricultural resources, personnel, and budgets.
PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT (20%)
· Responsible for the supervision and evaluation of the Managers of the department’s Farm Shop and Feed Mill.
· Conduct Animal and Farm Support Units Managers meetings at least quarterly or as often as needed.
· In coordination with the Department Head, develop position descriptions and conduct interviews to fill vacant Manager and staff positions at the Farm Shop and Feed Mill.
· Ensure all Animal and Farm Support Unit personnel receive effective training in safety and department, division, and university guidelines, policies, and procedures.
ANIMAL AND FARM SUPPORT UNITS ASSESSMENT (30%)
· In coordination with the Department Head and the Managers of the Farm Shop and Feed Mill, provide oversight for the development and management of annual budgets for the Farm Shop and Feed Mill.
· Determine and prioritize need for feeds, livestock supplies, livestock equipment, farm machinery, repairs and maintenance of equipment and infrastructure (including facilities), and development of new infrastructure.
· Evaluate machinery and equipment needs for replacement and repair.
· Ensure annual asset inventories are completed and submitted.
RESOURCE MANAGEMENT (50%)
· In coordination with the Department Head, Animal and Farm Support Unit Managers, and Animal Unit Faculty Supervisors, aid in the acquisition of and use of supplies, materials, livestock, vehicles, and equipment to ensure cost effectiveness in operations.
· Oversight and coordination of facility and infrastructure construction, facility and infrastructure repairs, and improvement projects from bids through completion at the Animal and Farm Support Units.
· Coordinate the planting and harvesting of crops and hay to meet the needs of the Animal Units.
· Keep records of fertilizer and herbicide applications on pasture, crop, and hay ground.
· Oversight and management of manure storage units and land application of manure and effluent to ensure environmental and permit compliance.
· Coordinate labor needs amongst the Animal and Farm Service Units
· Identify and create personnel, financial, and management synergies between the Animal and Farm Service Units.
The Oklahoma State University Department of Animal and Food Sciences has distinguished programs in teaching, research, and Extension.
We offer two majors, animal science and food science, and 12 study options. We are one of the largest departments on campus, but with a small-town feel, a caring attitude, and a commitment to every student. For more information, visit: https://agriculture.okstate.edu/departments-programs/afs/
There are lots of great reasons to work at OSU, check out our benefits and eligibility at https://hr.okstate.edu/prospective-ee.html
Oklahoma State University (OSU) strives to
provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff,
volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with
applicable laws and regulations, OSU conducts pre-employment background
checks on final candidates. Offers of employment are contingent upon the
successful completion of a background check. The type of background
check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to,
criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor
vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background
checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the
discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Oklahoma State University, as an equal
opportunity employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws
regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. Oklahoma State
University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all individuals
and does not discriminate based on race, religion, age, sex, color, national
origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression,
disability, or veteran status with regard to employment, educational programs
and activities, and/or admissions. For more information, visit