STUDENT SUCCESS & CAREER ADVISOR (STHE)
OSU INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
School of Transportation and HEVI
36,500.00 - 38,000.00, Salary
M-F, 7:30a-4:30p (may vary)
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Student Success
and Career Advisor will provide academic advisement and career guidance to
students across the School of Transportation & Heavy Equipment (STHE). This
position requires working closely with faculty and staff to provide support to
students as they navigate through the educational process and job placement.
The priority for this position is to ensure quality, consistent student support
that will prepare and sustain a diverse student body as competitive members of
a world-class workforce and contributing members of society. A focus on student
well-being and enrollment, persistence and graduation trends is essential.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND
- Provide advising to degree seeking and non-degree seeking students; strategize with students on the timely completion of degree requirements and focus on academic/career success. Work with faculty and staff to develop advisement strategies that specifically address the needs of students.
- Interpret federal, state and institutional polices and professionally communicate these policies to faculty, staff and students. Maintain a current understanding of academic policies, procedures and processes. Be familiar with policies involving accreditations and certifications related to specific degree programs.
- Assist students with schedule development and course registration processes. Educate students on how to follow a degree plan and utilize online enrollment tools.
- Advise students planning to transfer to other colleges and universities on issues related to course transfer, degree options and long-term career goals.
- Evaluate transcripts from other academic institutions for equivalencies and application to degree programs, maintain a database of program MOUs and be familiar with the process of awarding Prior Learning Assessment credits.Advise students regarding
- Satisfactory Academic Progress. Prepare and monitor student educational plans in compliance with institutional and federal regulations.
- Increase student awareness of campus resources and programs that enhance the student’s college experience. Make referrals to on and off campus community resources as appropriate.
- Assist with campus-wide persistence and graduation efforts. Work collaboratively with the STHE Program Support Strategist to implement retention strategies.
- Promote degree completion and assist students with degree audits and graduation applications.
- Maintain confidentiality of student records and observe policies related to student privacy (FERPA).
- Participate in advisement team meetings/trainings, campus committees and state professional development opportunities.
- Complete all mandatory training and participate in a minimum of two professional development opportunities each year.
- Perform other duties as assigned, which could include enrollment responsibilities.
Please upload cover letter, resume, and list of references for full consideration.
To fulfill this job successfully, an
individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills or
abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Associate degree from an accredited college or university, a higher degree preferred.
- Minimum of two years’ work experience in a higher education setting, preferably in an advisement capacity.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, customer-centered environment.
- Experience working in collaborative, team-oriented environments and in positions that require individualized work with minimal supervision.
- Work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
- Communicate diplomatically, clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing to exchange information.
- Demonstrate problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Work with attention to detail.
- Demonstrate ability to coordinate, plan and organize.
- Manage multiple priorities imposed by frequent deadlines, peak workloads, and public/student contact.
- Work independently and also collaborate within a team environment while effectively managing multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Thrive in a high-paced and dynamic environment.
- Utilize interpersonal skills to work and communicate effectively with all students, faculty, staff and community partners.
- Assist students passionately with educational endeavors and representing the OSUIT brand with positivity and professionalism.
- Evidences a history of demonstrating ethical and professional behavior.
- Proficiency with customer relation management software (e.g., Banner, Degree Works, Slate) and Microsoft Office Suite highly desirable.
- Must be able to work a set schedule to ensure availability to students and participate in possible evening and weekend events.
- Must be able to work in an often busy and noisy environment.
- Duties require extended periods of sitting, talking and listening.
- Duties require extensive use of computers, telephone and other office equipment.
work environment and physical demands described here are representative of
those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements
are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed
by people assigned to this job. They are
not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and
skills required of personnel so classified.