The Oklahoma State University Library seeks an Assistant Department Head (ADH) for Access Services to provide leadership in circulation and chat reference services and to assist in all operations for the Access Services Department, which includes the Circulation and Information Desk, Laptop Checkout, Interlibrary Services, Fines/ Fees Billing, Course Reserves, Stack Management, the Edmon Low Creative Studios, and the Library Auxiliary Building. Reporting to the Head of Access Services, the position will work collaboratively to enhance existing services and implement new customer-forward services and initiatives in the Library. We desire someone who is creative and eager to drive their own projects, innovate, and take on challenges with a passion for emerging technologies. This is a tenure-track position with anticipated initial appointment at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor.
As the Assistant Department Head, you will:
· Provide oversight and guidance for Circulation and Information Desk operations including tiered reference services, circulation services, & laptop checkout.
· Manage 2 full-time circulation staff.
· In coordination with the Research and Learning Services division, manage the Library’s chat reference service. This includes hiring, supervising, and training 4 Graduate Research Assistants who operate the service.
· Manage the Library Student Ambassador program that supports library events and programming and contributes to increased library engagement with the campus community.
· Work with Department Head and department staff to develop user-focused policies and procedures and maintain high standards of customer service at all service points in the department.
· Provide secondary oversight for all departmental units and services.
· Assist in the hiring, training, and evaluation of all Access Services staff.
· Monitor trends and developments in Access Services and recommend new services and service enhancements to meet the changing needs of the University community.
· Work with the Department Head to set priorities and goals for the department.
· Represent the department on appropriate committees, task forces, and working groups to ensure user-focused services.
Required Qualifications include:
· Masters from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent degree.
· A minimum of three years of professional library experience to include managing public services in an academic or research environment.
· A minimum of two years of supervisory experience.
· Demonstrated ability to coordinate library projects and implement library services in a team environment.
· Knowledge of current trends in access services, such as controlled digital lending advances in course-reserve management.
· One or more of the following: a record of research, publications, presentations, or service to the profession.
The salary is a minimum $60,000 annually for a 12-month appointment with a generous holiday schedule, health care plans, and retirement options. As a new library faculty member, you will receive start-up funding for research and/or professional travel and have access to the Library’s grant writer and development team as well as a full communication team.
To help candidates determine whether the culture at the Oklahoma State University Library is a good fit, Dean Sheila Johnson has posted her expectations for OSU Library leaders on her website: https://library.okstate.edu/about/dean-of-libraries/leadership-expectations. For more information about the Library generally see https://library.okstate.edu/about/dean-of-libraries/.
Deadline: Application review begins on November 14, 2022 and continues until position is filled. For consideration of your application materials, you should apply through the University’s website at https://okstate.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?site=8&id=12616. Questions about the application process may be directed to Jessica Cottom, Assistant Director of Business Operations, at email@example.com or (405) 744-6324. Candidates will be asked to deliver a presentation to faculty and staff. The successful candidate will be required to submit to a background check.
OSU is an AA/EEO/E-Verify Employer. Hiring contingent upon available funding.