INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN SPECIALIST
OSU Institute of Technology
45,000.00 - 50,000.00, Salary
M-F 7:30a-4:30p (may vary)
GENERAL SUMMARY: Supports the achievement of Academic Excellence & Distance Learning program goals by providing instruction and support to OSUIT faculty, staff, and others in the effective application of pedagogical theories and instructional technologies to the design, development, and delivery of high-quality learning experiences in both traditional and distance learning environments.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for applying instructional theories and principles to facilitate the creation, implementation and maintenance of high quality curriculum components and course delivery that reflect effective integration of academic technologies and the application of emerging educational trends.
- Provide assistance in developing course structures, methodologies, materials and learning environments that reflect the latest research in technology and learning innovations.
- Remain current in the application of instructional technologies, related instructional methodologies and instructional design theory.
- Collaborate, consult with and train faculty, staff, and others on the effective use of instructional design strategies, learning theories, learning space design, and multimedia technologies to improve teaching and learning outcomes in both face-to-face and online
- Develop, facilitate, and evaluate ongoing professional development workshops to support the growth and development of faculty, staff, and others in areas related to academic excellence.
- A defined training curriculum based on research and proven models should be established for delivery through both virtual and face-to-face sessions.
- Assist faculty, staff, and others in the ongoing development of knowledge, skills, and understanding of instructional design processes and implementation of instructional technologies to effectively meet academic goals.
- Work closely with all stakeholders to ensure a comprehensive approach to professional development that supports the incorporation of technology, pedagogy and content knowledge.
- Assist faculty, staff, and others in analyzing and problem-solving issues with existing instructional technology, design and methodologies; provide solutions and assist with implementation and course redesign as needed.
- Input and maintain accurate and detailed data for the purposes of program analysis, evaluation, and accountability in accordance with departmental policies and procedures; provide reports as needed.
- Plan, deliver and evaluate appropriate professional development programming in response to needs identified through comprehensive needs analysis.
- Pursue continuous professional growth and development in the application of instructional design and curriculum development theories and the latest trends in learning theory and academic technology for creating effective learning experiences through all modes of instruction.
- Work directly with the Director of Academic Excellence & Distance Learning to ensure the professional development and instructional design needs of the campus are being met.
Please upload cover letter, resume, and list of references for full consideration.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Instructional Design, Education or related discipline from an accredited college or university; master’s preferred.
- Evidences a history of demonstrating ethical and professional behavior.
- Three years teaching experience required, higher education teaching preferred.
- Strong background in instructional technologies, adult learning, and online education preferred.
- Experience in curriculum design and development preferred.
- Experience in educational audio/video recording & editing preferred.
- Experience in implementing mobile technology in learning preferred.
- Ability to write and speak fluent English, compose correspondence or documentation.
- Ability to apply basic reasoning and critical thinking skills to determine potential solutions to problems.
- Strong organizational, human relations, and customer service skills.
- Ability to teach in a variety of settings and formats.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and yet focus on a single task at a given time. Best practices in evaluation, selection, and integration of technology in both traditional and distance learning environments.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices in teaching and learning and their applications to effective instruction in both traditional and distance learning environments.
- Computer proficient with core productivity software, e.g., Microsoft Office.
- A positive “can-do” attitude along with a professional appearance and demeanor should be modeled at all times.
- Must have a willingness to continually self-initiate learning to remain proficient. Should be able to quickly grasp and apply new skills and methods.
- Must be customer service motivated with ability to work and respond effectively to varied audiences of internal and external clients.
- Must be flexible, innovative, and self-motivated.
- Ability to communicate in a strong positive manner, both verbally and non-verbally, and to articulate ideas effectively through both written and oral communications.
- Must be proficient in information technology mediums to include word processing, database, spreadsheets, and specialized software packages.
- Excellent written communication and listening skills and customer responsiveness are essential.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively recognize and resolve conflict.
- Valid Oklahoma driver’s license will be required if performing the functions of the position requires the use of a personal or university vehicle.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Travel may be required.
- Normal office physical environment; ability to lift up to 25 pounds.